Open Call for Letters of Interest
The Just and Fair Schools Fund (JFSF) is pleased to announce an open call for letters of interest (LOI) from base-building organizations in the U.S. that seek to eliminate harsh school discipline policies and practices and to uphold the right to education for all youth. The Fund aims to spark positive reforms at the local, state, and national levels that keep all children safe and learning in school. To learn more about this funding opportunity including the submission requirements, please refer to the JFSF webpage found here. LOIs are due February 1, 2013.
On December 15, the Gay-Straight Alliance Network hosted a Youth Empowerment Summit for 700 youth leaders. One plenary panel featured students sharing their experiences with school systems that push out LGBTQ youth, youth of color, and youth with disabilities through harsh discipline policies, lack of school safety, and lack of academic supports. Read more>
Shaping the National Conversation
Mourning the Victims of Sandy Hook Elementary, and Taking Common Sense Approaches to School Safety
- Alliance for Educational Justice, Advancement Project, Dignity in Schools Campaign, and NAACP Legal Defense Fund release an issue brief. Read more>
- The Labor/Community Strategy Center (LCSC) calls for an end to the national surge towards police and soldiers in schools. Read more>
- More than 200 school violence prevention researchers and practitioners, plus 183 associated organizations, have issued the statement A Call for More Effective Prevention of Violence calling for a thoughtful approach to safety in and around schools. Read more>
- The California Endowment and Los Angeles youth leaders demand more counseling, mentoring, and health services for students. See more>
- The National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers find arming educators with guns is the wrong approach to school safety. Read more in the Washington Post>
For more news, resources and upcoming events, please read the complete Just and Fair Schools Fund newsletter here.